Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2 box 14 has an amount in there and it says other and right below other it says, loan

sabiduria
Level 3

I am assuming this is just for information purposes right? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Box 14 is generally for informational purposes, yes.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

Ass-u-me-ing when doing tax returns is generally not the best idea.  I'd ask my client what that *loan* is all about.  YMMV

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sabiduria
Level 3

Thanks Lisa. So, just out of curiosity, so at some point last year, the employer took off of the employee's paycheck this loan and he is putting it in the W2 so the employee will have a record of it?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Only the employer and/or employee can answer that question.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

If there's indeed an employee loan, there could be tax implications.  Many a time, employers  (even large MNCs) are not be aware of the applicable tax provisions and may not, therefore, have structured such loans accordingly and/or done the reporting correctly.  Even if it turns out not to be relevant for the current year, it may not something that should go into your carryover notes.

As Anna says, you can't assume when it comes to taxes.  Every number and notation is there for a reason.  Every one of those must be understood and rationalized to either report or omit on the return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar