Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venue rental paid to historic home foundation deductible as a donation

diray
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did they receive goods or services in exchange for the payment?  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Someone wants to deduct part of their daughter's wedding costs?  No.  And not the stipend to the clergyman, either.  

0 Cheers
diray
Level 2

It was for a wedding which was cancelled. My client "gave" the rented venue to their church for use for the church's fund raiser. The church provided my client with a donation receipt for flowers, food, etc. that was given with the use of the venue. The venue (owned by a 501c(3) foundation) provided my client with an invoice showing the amount billed for rental, nothing about it being a donation.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"with an invoice showing the amount billed for rental, nothing about it being a donation."

Because it was Not a Donation. It was Rent Payment. Then, your client gave that right to the Church, so there is no Donation to the venue; there is Payment to venue as rent.

What you have here is Church Fundraiser activity. The Church didn't give them anything showing that rental amount, but your client has proof of the value they gave, as a PrePaid Venue.

The venue is not a party to any of that part between your client and their Church.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.