Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to attend a charitable event

jskouberdis
Level 4

I have a question for the community.  I have tried looking this up but can not find an answer.  

If somebody is traveling to a charitable golf outing that is out of town I know he can deduct the entry fee since all proceeds are going to charity minus the value of food and prizes and other things the charity pays for him.  Is the cost of the flight to the destination also a charitable donation.  Everything that I look up says travel expenses are only deductible for volunteers working for the charitable event but nothing in regards to attendees.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Travel You Can’t Deduct — Some types of travel don’t qualify for a tax deduction. For example, you can’t deduct your costs if a significant part of the trip involves recreation or vacation. For more on these rules, see Publication 526, Charitable Contributions. You can get it on IRS.gov/forms at any time."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Travel You Can’t Deduct — Some types of travel don’t qualify for a tax deduction. For example, you can’t deduct your costs if a significant part of the trip involves recreation or vacation. For more on these rules, see Publication 526, Charitable Contributions. You can get it on IRS.gov/forms at any time."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
jskouberdis
Level 4

I also saw the research that you saw and agree with you.  I was just looking to see if anybody had any exception to the travel amount

0 Cheers