Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

today's returns

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

only managed 23 returns today.. not due to lack of work.. just some more involved issues.. one lady had like eight quite involved 1099 Divs and Bs.. also had returns wtih a 1065, home sale, schedule C, rental properties.. college tuition with 529 withdrawal, multiple state issues, multiple local issues (thanks Ohio) overall a good mixture of returns. last guy today when i told him the price he goes........... oh come on.   my refund was a lot less.. why do you charge me the same.  It was like he was at an open air market.. oh well. overall a fine day of work and every other client was very gracious and no one said a peep about the fees. 

11 Comments 11
IRonMaN
Level 15

If the refund is less you need to reduce the fee ———— and I guess you have to pay them for the privilege of doing their return if they have a balance due😬

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

i cannot do anymore work today after the work today but looking towards thursday i just got an email from my noon appointment tomorrow... S corp and personal return. email said, attached are my reports for the company if you want to get a jump on things.. i know from last year she uses quickbooks and almost without exception i see quickbooks reports all whacked out.. i thought maybe this year the balance sheet will look ok.. took one look at it and saw negative inventory.. i shook my head and closed it down. 

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Just Curious....are you your own secretary too or do you have someone to help deal with calls, copies, walk-ins, etc.?

IRonMaN
Level 15

He has two cats as assistants.  Once they learn how to answer that phone, Jim will have it made in the shade 😎

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I do it all myself.. I don't really make copies.. I scan what I need. as far as walk ins, not that type of practice really.. I go by appointments.. If a phone call comes in while i am with a client I let it go to voice mail and I call them back between appointments or later that day.  I like requests for appointments by email also as I can often reply in between clients although there is not much time between clients.. I schedule for in person,while client is with me tax prep every 15 to 45 minutes, depending how complex or simple I know the returns to be. 

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Debit and Credit. 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio 

You can do an SCorp and individual return in 45minutes ???   What type of "vitamins" do you take?  

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

No exaggeration. lady comes out.. i had budgeted 30 minutes for her. figured just a simple return.. half hour is way too much time to allocate for that as I can get that done in four minutes.. but then when she came in she gave me a P & L from her QuickBooks because she has an S Corp.. I thought.. how am I going to get the S Corp and her personal return done in a half hour.. but her sales were about $ 80,000 and assets real small so I did not have to do the Balance Sheet and all that..got them both done in half hour.. on the dot..   as far as vitamins.. I take a variety of supplements but I think the most effective ones for me at least is Vitamin D, Bee Pollen, and Royal Jelly, the food that queen bee gets to eat. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But if you don't do a balance sheet how do you keep track of basis?  And the folks in Ohio must be a lot better using Quickbooks than the folks in Minnesota.  For most of the Quickbooks reports that come into our office if there are 7 numbers on the reports, 9 of them are wrong.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Most QB reports are messed up, really, really bad, I agree.. but I trained her how to use QB so of course her books are clean . 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I'm at a loss for words............