Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Returns for Athletes

GJ
Level 1

If an Athlete is underaged (15-17yrs old)  but breaking into the Professional league.... If the Athlete's business incurred a loss for the year. Can the athlete be included on the parent's tax returns (Child credit) or does the athlete still have to file his/her own tax returns and report the losses on a 1040?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

7 Comments 7
BobKamman
Level 15

What video games does he play?  Is he losing his own money, or is it coming from the parents?  There's no age limit on the Section 183 hobby loss rules. If he has a loss, he can create an NOL and use it in future years.  I'm not sure whether it will help or hurt on the FAFSA.

George4Tacks
Level 15
You can not put the child's Schedule C on the parent's tax return. You might be able to claim the child as dependent on the parent's tax return.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
GJ
Level 1

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Athlete plays tennis. No FAFSA athlete will be going to school ona. scholarship. 

Loss from the business is covered by the parents. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Also, review the rules on start-up expenses.  

Actually, this might be a subject that tax preparers need to watch, now that college athletes can be paid.  

But keep in mind the problems that helicopter parents have caused for themselves (and maybe for tax preparers, when they claim "donations") in the cases publicized by Operation Varsity Blue.  

George4Tacks
Level 15
"Loss from the business is covered by the parents. "
Consider the At Risk Rules.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

There is a ruling for parents of athletes (actually athletes, not pretending) trying to write off the costs for their children to develop and participate, as donation to the sports, and those parents lost the case. I just tried a quick search and couldn't find it, but I recall it has to do with Tara Lipinski and her Olympics bid.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Parents are always at risk.

And athletes are one elbow injury away from completing the FAFSA.

"I have found out in later years we were very poor, but the glory of America is that we didn't know it then. All that we knew was that our parents - of great courage - could say to us, 'Opportunity is all about you. Reach out and take it.' "
Dwight Eisenhower

0 Cheers