Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus checks with negative agi? Irs wont accept Negative Numbers ?

Poolpatcher
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone know how to use the tool for the 2020 stimulus check on the irs website. If you had a negative  AGI such as   -538  how would you insert into the identification section when updating your bank account information to receive the deposit, since the new irs form does not accept negative numbers?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

Betty Jo 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
25 Comments 25
IRonMaN
Level 15

Leave off the part that gets you to a negative?

Slava Ukraini!
Poolpatcher
Level 1

nope, didnt work the other times, locked out AGAIN

0 Cheers
jaredhoy
Level 1

any update to this, I am in the same situation!

qbteachmt
Level 15

@jaredhoy 

I think you are Not in the same boat; you are posting on a Professional Tax Preparer's forum, where the  people here are helping their own Clients.

If you are simply asking for personal reasons, you are Lost on the Internet. I recommend using IRS resources and watching the news for when this gets resolved. Also, the TurboTax Community can be helpful to Individuals:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/discussions/discussion/03/302

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
jaredhoy
Level 1

I know where I am and where I posted, thanks. This is the only thread that I could find that addresses the issue of having a negative AGI on the 2020 "Where's My Payment Tool" not being accepted and returning an error that had any reply/response as the threads in the general discussion and there was an active thread here, so I posted asking if a solution was found. So yes. I am in the same exact boat as the OP. 

Nothing in any of the IRS documentation that I could find even addresses this issue as well as the TACs being closed so there's no official way to reach out. By replying and asking if there was a solution found I am doing exactly what you suggest in "watching the news for when this get resolved" and yes, I've been through the TTCommunity discussions, the few mentions are all dead posts.

So I ask what did your post add to any aspect of the question?

qbteachmt
Level 15

"This is the only thread that I could find that addresses the issue "

That's clearly not true across the Webiverse.

"So yes. I am in the same exact boat as the OP."

Yes, all Non-professional non-tax preparers not using any of Intuit's Professional Tax Preparation programs for their client's returns are all in the same boat: lost on the Internet.

This is not the Community Forum you seek. It is Peer users for preparing Client's tax returns and how to use the Lacerte and ProSeries programs for doing that function.

"So I ask what did your post add to any aspect of the question?"

Yes, because I am the Traffic Cop here and you are going the wrong way down a One Way Street. It's time to turn around and go elsewhere.

This is like walking into a Country Bar to talk about Opera. The Wrong Place.

qbteachmt
Level 15

@IntuitAustin 

Here is yet Another topic to lock up, since it allowed the general public to sign up for posting in your own Professional Tax Preparer community. Thanks.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Re-direction links for the General Public that accidentally stumbled into this community...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/other-financial-discussions/discussion/02/216

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/other-financial-discussions/discussion/covid-19-coronavirus-person...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/02/203

You're welcome.

0 Cheers
Dw2
Level 1

I created an account just to answer your question. I tried a few different ways but I finally got it to work. 1) If you had a negative agi. Enter the number without the negative before it. So instead of typing 0 or -526, just write 526. 2) check your tax return to double check which bank account was used for deposit. If you haven’t used a bank account in the past for deposit, I cannot guarantee that this will work. Only thing I can guarantee is that when I put the positive number instead of negative, and entered the bank account listed on my tax return, it finally went through. Hope this helps.

MFarr
Level 1

I am trying to chenge the information for my stimulous check and is not accepting a negative number how can do it ?

0 Cheers
Hmdaaan
Level 1
  • Hello,  did you fix it yet, bc I have negative agi i just wanna know if i eligible to the stimulus check?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Last time I checked, there wasn't anybody from the IRS helping out here, so I would have to go with a "no" for an answer.

Slava Ukraini!
navharr24
Level 1

Why .2? It’s not working for me for anything 

0 Cheers
DallasTX
Level 1

We just submitted a stimulus request for a client with a negative AGI.  IRS accepted the total AGI number without the negative connotation.  So an agi of  -561 should be entered simply as 561.  The algorithm is looking to match the numbers only.

Hope this helps.

0 Cheers
Victoriyu67
Level 1

C8CE8EF3-BF9D-4829-9B34-9ECF9F7D957E.png

 hopefully this helps 

0 Cheers
dplead
Level 1

This just worked this morning for me:

AGI- take the whole number of the AGI. For example a  -1515 would be entered as 1515. No parenthesis and no - symbol just the whole number. 

IMPORTANT: next questions asks if you are getting a refund or if you owe...THIS is where most are getting caught up and this is the magic...answer that you OWE MONEY. Then when it asks how much put 0. I know I put that I was getting a refund and then 0 last time and got locked out.

AGAIN, 

whole number AGI 

You OWE money

Amount owed 0

Hope it works for you as well. Hang in there and all the best. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@IntuitAustinor other admin:

The reason the general public is coming here, is that the TurboTax topic has a Link:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/other-financial-discussions/discussion/stimulus-check-with-a-negat...

If you could redirect them back to TT and then Lock this topic, that would be great. Thanks.

FlyingMuse
Level 1

Thank you for being such a good samaritan. That #$%hole who was unbelievably snotty to the person asking the question deserves a lot of bad karma! YOU ARE GREAT! And that solved my problem too 🙂 THANK YOU!

qbteachmt
Level 15

It appears @dplead put that answer both here and in the TurboTax community forum.

This was Never the place for general questions. This is a professional tax preparer forum. No one here has the inside scoop on the IRS, SBA, DOL, or any other public announcement.

There is no reason to be rude @FlyingMuse . If you walked into a Country Bar and tried to talk about Ballet, you would also be redirected. Perhaps not as politely, either.

You are in the Wrong Place on the Interwebs. Stop complaining about that fact, here.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Here's another point to keep in mind:

You all just created usernames on a forum about which you know Nothing. That is not playing safe on the internet.

This Intuit-hosted forum for peer users of Lacerte and Proseries tax programs is not a great place to post general public issues and ask for personal guidance. There are lots of other online communities for this, including services such as Facebook.

The worst thing to do on the internet is to establish accounts on other forums where you have no idea what your info here will be used for.

0 Cheers
Bric20
Level 1

dplead:

Did you received your direct deposit check after proceeding like that in the IRS site?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Bric20 

Re-direction links for the General Public that accidentally stumbled into this community...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/other-financial-discussions/discussion/02/216

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/other-financial-discussions/discussion/covid-19-coronavirus-person...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/02/203

You're welcome.

And really, you folks should reconsider how safe it is that you are just signing up for usernames all over the web. You don't have licenses for Intuit products, so you are not really a user of the programs in this forum, yet you want to make user accounts here? That just is not Safe, along with, this is Not the resource you seek.

0 Cheers
cstevens0221
Level 1

I see where you're coming from qbteachmt....but take a bit of the sarcasm off. I don't think anyone likes to see that negative crap. People are just trying to figure stuff out. I'm a professional by the way...

Andyet....you didn't answer his question....or mine (since I have the same one). Someone else did though....without a bit of sarcasm. 

Take care! 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

It's not Sarcasm; that's the same info I keep copying and pasting into topics where the general public has made usernames on a forum for the users of specific programs: ProSeries and Lacerte. This is a Peer User forum for using those programs.

Yes, @cstevens0221 

We are all Professionals.

This is not a Tax Guidance forum nor a public information resource for what the SBA or the IRS or any State is going to do next or for their need to fix something not working. The participants on this forum are Tax Preparers for their clients and not a general font of knowledge for these developing topics.

And why would you ever make a username in an online community you know nothing about? The rest of us have these usernames because we bought a program that we were forced to Register, which established the username for that ownership and the participation here.

And you are overlooking that many other websites exist that have useful info, and that Intuit has provided a General Community forum for this in their TurboTax Community.

Which is why I recommend going there. Not here.

0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

Betty Jo 

0 Cheers