Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Mileage vs Actual Vehicle Expense

Pebbles
Level 1

Really important question.  Can someone please clarify.  Client is an uber driver.  Placed car in service and used actual expenses in 2018. Client traded in car in March 2019 and received trade in value for the vehicle, which was most likely used to purchase the next vehicle.   Can client now use standard mileage rate on the new car because it was placed in service in 2019?  Lastly, should the traded in vehicle be disposed on his return with any recapturing of depreciation? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

4 Comments 4
taxshack
Level 5

Yes dispose of the prior vehicle and start fresh with the new one.  The sales price would be the trade-in value.  Standard mileage can be used on the new one.

Preparing taxes is not my life, but my life is amazing because I prepare taxes.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Those are very important questions, I agree.

What software are you using? 

You posted in "Industry Discussions" which is not professional tax preparation software.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Pebbles
Level 1

Using proconnect tax online. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

"The sales price would be the trade-in value."  In a world where car dealers are honest, that would be true.  And if you mean the FMV value, perhaps supported by KBB research, that works.  Just make sure the taxpayer didn't ask the dealer to subtract $5K from the trade-in, and $5K from the purchase price, just to avoid showing a gain on the sale.