Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sch E rental properties- Transfer of ownership thru Quit claim deed

RR Reed
Level 3

I have two clients who co-own 3 rental properties 50/50 (originally were MFJ, but divorced along the way and split ownership half ways). In late 2020, they decided to split properties as 2 and 1 (ex wife got 2 bldgs and ex husband got 1) by just removing their names from the respective titles of property. this sounds like Quit claim deed to me as there was no exchange of money. I am learning from online research I may have to file form 709 for each of them. Is that correct and how do I adjust tax basis in the asset worksheet for the property received? And how do I dispose the property given away?

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
BobKamman
Level 15

Looks like a sale to me. 

Edited to add:  Might qualify as a 1031 exchange.  

RR Reed
Level 3

Sale would make it a taxable transaction and account for it like a regular sale. What about the online literature where some websites call for Form 709? Any thoughts?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

A 709 is for a Gift.  This was not a gift.  They TRADED their 50% ownership for some ownership in another property.  That is a sale.

But as Bob pointed it, it may qualify as a 1031 Exchange.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Was this done pursuant to the marital property settlement agreement?

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Not sure, but would section 1041 be applicably

0 Cheers
RR Reed
Level 3

No, they divorced/separated long time ago

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

If divorced a long time I would look into 1031 exchange as @BobKamman suggested, doesn't sound like a gift is involved 

RR Reed
Level 3

Thank you all for your inputs! I will look into 1031 exchange.

0 Cheers