Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Will IRS Announce That April 15 Is Extended?

BobKamman
Level 15

There is no way that IRS will require all tax returns to be filed by April 15. The date will be extended like last year – maybe not until July 15, but at least June 15.

The announcement may come as soon as today (January 29). They like to drop press-release bombs on a Friday afternoon, then close up shop. They couldn’t do it earlier this month, because there was no one in charge at Treasury to sign off on it. The new Secretary was sworn in on Tuesday. Maybe she’ll need a full week before dealing with IRS, so February 5 is also a date to watch.

IRS hasn’t finished processing millions of 2019 returns. They just finished sending out EIP#2, mostly with debit cards that people don’t understand. Another round of disaster-relief payments will make it through Congress, one way or another, before the end of March. Why would IRS want another backlog of returns?

The tax practitioners with the Commissioner’s ear – Block and Jackson Hewitt – don’t want masked taxpayers sitting down in offices with masked preparers. And they want to stay on good terms with a President who can count 100 days from January 20.

I have two Pfizer shots set for February, which means 95% chance of immunity around March 15. I’m telling clients that maybe I will schedule office appointments after that date. It depends on whether the daily death count from Covid-19 drops below the total death count from 9/11.

Does anyone really think April 15 will be anything other than a nice spring day when maybe baseball can be watched on TV?

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

I'm betting Punxsutawney Phil will see his shadow and the season will be extended.  Don't see how April 15 will be viable as you said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

It doesn't really matter.  Based on the fact that a lot of the preparers that visit here are rocket science school graduates, chances are they probably think that July 15th is now the regular due date.

As long as we are talking about visitors here, does anybody want to put in their guesses on whether EIC or recovery rebate credit questions will be the number one post by the end of tax season (we'll go with the July 15 date for purposes of our game)?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN "As long as we are talking about visitors here, does anybody want to put in their guesses on whether EIC or recovery rebate credit questions will be the number one post by the end of tax season "

I'll go with pension plan distributions spread over a 3-year period.  

Or maybe, $600 charitable for joint returns.