Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wages for sole proprietor or single member LLC

mj46
Level 3

I see several sole proprietors or single member LLC's putting them selves on their own payroll.  They insist on collecting wages, paying employer taxes and getting a W-2 from their own business.  Is this not legal and should they be told take themselves off payroll.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, they need to be evicted from payroll.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

You previously asked this very same thing, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/sole-proprietor-or-single...

Did you read the info you were given, there? You don't need to keep asking; we are the same people as last month.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

This question keeps coming up here.  For example, see

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/sole-proprietor-or-single...

Is it legal?  I'm trying to think of what law is being broken, or what tax is being underpaid.  If an Executive Order were issued to allow this, would anyone object?  I think that Schedule C filers are doing it because it's easier for them to keep current on their personal tax obligations that way.  I don't think IRS is opposed to people wanting to avoid delinquencies.  

But maybe John Smith is thinking that a W-2 from JS Enterprises is an easy way to avoid questions from lenders who don't like dealing with Schedule C filers.  Is it fraud if a loan application states someone is an employee, rather than self-employed?

BobKamman
Level 15

@qbteachmt  "we are the same people as last month."

Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

abctax55
Level 15

@mj46 

"..They insist on collecting wages"

Then I would *insist* they exit out of my professional life.

@mj46 - @qbteachmt is right.  Please don't ask the same thing over & over again.  Our answers aren't going to change.

(@BobKamman - thanks, now I have to Youtube that to get the tune right 🙂

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"