Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSA-1099 Tax Levy

gfpstaxes
Level 4

A SSA-1099 includes an amount for “Treasury Benefit Payment Offset, Garnishment and/or Tax Levy” Do I need to include this in the tax return? If so, where?

I think it may be due to taxes he owed from previous years.

Thank you for your help... Ky

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its the same as if they paid the bill themselves, so unless what that money was taken for would be a deduction had they paid it themselves, its not entered anywhere.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Doesn't get entered anywhere on the return.

gfpstaxes
Level 4

Thanks... does everyone concur?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its the same as if they paid the bill themselves, so unless what that money was taken for would be a deduction had they paid it themselves, its not entered anywhere.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"does everyone concur?"

Box 3? Box 6?

Box 6 is Fed withholding.

For that notation: "If we show an amount in this legend, either the Treasury Department applied that amount to a debt or debts owed to other Federal agencies; benefits were withheld to pay child support, alimony, or court ordered victim restitution; and/or benefits were withheld to pay debts to the IRS."

You would have to know why they were garnished, to know if it is reportable at all.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

The gross amount of benefits paid, in the salmon-colored box in the upper right corner, is the amount you report as Social Security benefits.  The amount garnished (usually 15%) is irrelevant.  For example, if $20,000 was paid and $3,000 taken by the IRS levy, you would report the $20,000.  

gfpstaxes
Level 4

It's in Box 3. I did about 6 years of taxes for him last year and he owed for the first 3 or 4 years, so I wouldn't be surprised that he hadn't paid his full debt yet. He probably got letters from the IRS, but he doesn't correspond well enough that he would have sent them to me unsolicited.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You seem to think this was Federal tax levy, which might be something to put on the State return, but not any penalty or interest amounts.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers