Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Credit for residential rental property

wjmarkocpa
Level 1

A client has a residential rental residence that they added solar panels to the roof.  We cannot take the 30% solar credit because that credit is for personally occupied homes only.  There is a business solar 30% credit available for rental homes that flows through the Form 3800.  What Form behind the Form 3800 is used to record the business credit to put it on the Form 3800?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimmyM
Employee
Employee

I am unable to find a form/credit for which a residential rental property could claim a solar energy credit. Form 3468 is an investment credit for business property and does contain an energy credit, however, this credit cannot be claimed on property that is used for dwelling. Form 5695 is a residential credit for the homeowner's main home where they lived in 2018. I am not aware of another energy credit that is available for rental homes.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
JimmyM
Employee
Employee

I am unable to find a form/credit for which a residential rental property could claim a solar energy credit. Form 3468 is an investment credit for business property and does contain an energy credit, however, this credit cannot be claimed on property that is used for dwelling. Form 5695 is a residential credit for the homeowner's main home where they lived in 2018. I am not aware of another energy credit that is available for rental homes.

0 Cheers