Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling dividend generating stock during the first 60 days of 2020

Rossi3839
Level 2

There is a question on the Lacerte tax organizer that asks: "Did you sell or plan to sell any dividend generating stocks or mutual funds during the first 60 days of 2020/"  Can give an example of how this should be handled if the answer is ":yes" to the question and also how would the client know the anser to the question? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

By looking at their Jan & Feb 2020 brokerage statements (or, asking their financial adviser to do so..)

Capital gain treatment of the dividends on the stocks sold in that 60 day time frame is denied.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
abctax55
Level 15

By looking at their Jan & Feb 2020 brokerage statements (or, asking their financial adviser to do so..)

Capital gain treatment of the dividends on the stocks sold in that 60 day time frame is denied.

( Generic Comment )"
Rossi3839
Level 2

Thank you!  I sent a previous reply and additional question but I do not see it posted.... I am not too familiar with how this site works.  I also am not notified via email for responses.  The box is checked to notify me but I am not getting notified.  Can you please give me insight to how to make sure my email address is entered correctly and properly set up?

Thanks in advance!

0 Cheers
blantcpa
Level 1

I would assume that the brokerage firm would issue corrected 1099 showing those dividends as not qualified.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

And your assumption is incorrect.  They don't, nor are they required to do so.

( Generic Comment )"