Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roth contribution computation

mplemercpa
Level 1

I have a single client under 50 y/o who had AGI of $119,967 and wanted to do the max Roth of $6000. Proseries limited her to $5420 . She is a member of a retirement plan thru her employer. 

As I read it, if your AGI is under $122,000 you can do the max? So why is their a limit of $5420?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

9 Comments 9
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Are you saying her AGI is under $122,000 or her MAGI. You have to use MAGI not AGI

mplemercpa
Level 1

I am using MAGI from the Proseries Roth IRA Contribution limit worksheet!!

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It is working for me.  

Have you looked through the entire Roth IRA Contribution Limit worksheet to see where it limits it?  That should answer it.  If you don't understand where it is limiting it, give us all of the numbers on that worksheet and we may be able to help you figure it out.

mplemercpa
Level 1

Thanks..how do I attached the Proseries Roth w/s?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Hmmm.  They don't make it easy, do they?  The only way I can see is to attach a "photo" (when replying, look above the text box where it has the options for Bold, Italics, Underline, etc ... the "Photo" is about the 8th one).

If you do attach it be SURE to NOT show the client's Social Security Number.

If it is too problematic, you may just want to list the amounts in the response box (you can choose the "Numbered List", next to the "Photo" to correspond with the line numbers on the worksheet).

0 Cheers
mplemercpa
Level 1

IMG_1552.JPG

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Line 10 shows that the taxpayer only contributed $5420 to his Roth.

Maybe check the contribution sheet to see what you entered for the amount of contributions?

mplemercpa
Level 1

That is so stranger as I originally entered $6000 and it came back and showed the max to be $5420 and now its letting me do the $6000.

Thanks!!

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You are welcome.   🙂

0 Cheers