Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refund delays?

hfmailliard
Level 2

Hello, 

Anyone been experiencing refund delays for clients since mid-March?  

Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If a refund is delayed longer than 21 days, chances are it's either under review, it's been chosen for ID Verification, or you forgot to include the Form 1095A/8962....in any of these situations, youre stuck waiting for IRS to contact you.

Mid March was only a couple of weeks ago.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
hfmailliard
Level 2

Thanks, Lisa. for posting  Yes, a few are just around the 21 day mark.  Just not the norm based on prior. I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the current state of affairs!

BobKamman
Level 15

Are you asking about e-filed or paper returns?  The pace of checks issued (not necessarily from paper returns, but more likely) has definitely slowed the past few days, if you follow the daily Treasury cash statement.  

hfmailliard
Level 2

Hi Bob, 

Thanks for the post.  These are e-filed returns.  Thanks! 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Does Where's My Refund website still show them as processing?

hfmailliard
Level 2

Hi Lisa~

The messages say" your tax return is still being processed.  A refund date will be provided when available.  Text only, no bar graph visuals, like usual.  But it's right around the 21 day mark, and hasn't been the norm. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Hate that!   Ive got one hanging from mid Feb that way...I kind of figured it would happen, I warned him it would probably be delayed....he was disabled all 2018 and didnt file a return, went back to work mid 2019 and he qualified for HOH and EIC, so I figured theyd probably hit him with an ID Verification to make sure it wasnt fraudulent.....but now with the whole quarantine....its going to be a long delay  😞    He could really use the money right now too, I wonder if the economic relief payment will still kick in for those that are hanging in limbo like this.

hfmailliard
Level 2

Thanks, Lisa for posting!  Yes, I think you are correct. The ones that have issues had an outstanding notice that I sent correspondence for (which probably hasn't been updated yet) and the others had some changes to their eligibility for child tax credits this year.  So some may be ID checks. So I guess there were some changes in general for these.  And yes, I was wondering the same thing if this would further delay their stimulus payments.  Ugh, so many uncertainties right now.  Thanks, for your input!

jmbillmeyer
Level 2

Yes, and it says it is still being processed, and refund date is not available yet 😞

hfmailliard
Level 2

Thanks, jmbillmeyer.   Good to know.  So frustrating.  

0 Cheers