Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

notice 1444

jmass
Level 2

How are we going to know stimulus amounts when clients do not have Notice 1444?  IRS wheres my stimulus no longer has $ amount just bank info....

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

13 Comments 13
abctax55
Level 15

Your client *should* have some clue as to how much money they received, especially if a check or direct deposit was the method of delivery.

If not - I think you'll have to assume the FULL possible amount was received.   Maybe not fair, but oh, well..... folks really do need to pay attention. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ask the client to check their bank account records, or have them get their transcript from IRS. 

Or you could charge them $100 to get their transcript for them, they usually manage to dig up the info on their own if they have to pay you to find it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

You could always ask the client.  If they say they don't remember and don't want to take the effort to look at a bank statement, just assume they got the full amount and go on with life.  We run tax practices, not daycare centers.  Clients need to take a little responsibility for their own tax returns at some point.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

I didn't realize that this line had grown so long as I was typing. 😄

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im hoping they come out with an online Look-Up Tool like they have for the First Time Homebuyer Credit.

jmass
Level 2

Thanks all! Yes I'm hoping for an updated tool ... I'm afraid I think I may have lazy clients

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Based on another question I read on another forum, it seems like the 1444 may only tell you what was deposited into the bank account (or check sent), but does NOT factor in the amount used to pay off Child Support.

For example, a person may have qualified for $1200, but maybe $500 was sent to pay off Child Support.  The 1444 would only show $700 (the amount actually put into the taxpayer's bank account).  So in those cases, the 1444 would NOT be the amount that we need to have.

Can anybody confirm?

abctax55
Level 15

Thanks Bill.... you just made me MORE depressed at this whole mess 🤣

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

So how are we supposed to get the correct amount in that situation? The person that didn't pay their child support will say they got the reduced amount, if they can even answer the question.

Ex-AllStar
rbynaker
Level 13

@sjrcpa wrote:

So how are we supposed to get the correct amount in that situation? The person that didn't pay their child support will say they got the reduced amount, if they can even answer the question.

Transcript?

I'm just thinking out loud at this point.  In 95% of the cases (or more) I'll have an expectation of what they were supposed to get based on 2018 and 2019 (and when we filed 2019).

There were a few where we held off filing 2019 until after EIP1 since filing 2019 may have reduced the amount.  I'm thinking those folks will get reduced EIP2 payments (based on 2019 instead of 2018) but I'm not sure about that.

If the client tells me they got the amounts that I was expecting them to get I don't plan to look any further.  Before putting anything unexpected on the 2020 tax return I plan to do some more due diligence in getting documentation.  Not sure yet what that might be.  I'm still hoping that the IRS will have a lookup tool available.

Rick

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive been seeing people over in the Tax Pro FB groups with clients telling them 

"My transcript shows 2400, but they only deposited 600!" 

Its going to be a huge mess with this second round!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'm still hoping that the IRS will have a lookup tool available.

So am I.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

You or your client get their Stimulus amount info at this link:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Or get it by paper. I earlier posted this link to an account transcript image, which you can get for them or they can get for themselves. It shows how the listings appear:

https://www.irsmind.com/irs-notices/irs-transcripts-now-provide-stimulus-payment-information/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers