Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note bought at a discount

jskouberdis
Level 4

I have a situation where a client bought a discounted note from the bank 4 years ago at $240,000 and this and he has been collecting interest on the note for 4 years.  Now the note becomes due and he will get $290,000.  Is this a capital gain item or an ordinary income item for the difference in the basis and sale price.  They are in the business of financing and investing.  I would like to know what the community thinks about this.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

If you decide that these provisions should apply to your client, no one here will be able to tell you what you should do other than amending those prior year returns.  There may be a position to be taken, perhaps depending on the NTE, but that would be your call.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
itonewbie
Level 15

Is $290k the par value?  If it's discounted, your client was probably not "collecting" but "accruing" interest.  That'd be my first impression based on the limited info you provided.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
jskouberdis
Level 4

No they were collecting interest at 7% for the last four years.  And will receive $40,000 more upon redemption next year.  My question is that a long term capital gain or ordinary income.  And if ordinary income is it interest income or financing income

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

That's an original issue or bought from the open market?  $240k sounds too clean for it to have been bought from the market.  Is there any reason why the note was sold at a discount but still paid interest periodically?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
jskouberdis
Level 4

They bought the note from the bank.  And they have been receiving interest for the last 3 or 4 years from the original borrower

0 Cheers
jskouberdis
Level 4

Also the borrower was a related person the my client knew.

0 Cheers
jskouberdis
Level 4

The borrower went to the bank and originally borrowed $290,000 about 5 years ago.  Then the bank sold the note to my client for $240,000.  And the borrower will pay my client $290,000 next year.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

I assume there's a good commercial reason for the bank that originated the loan at commercial terms to dispose of the note at a discount of $40k.  But a related party stepping in to acquire the loan could trigger unintended tax consequences that may not have been taken into account to date.  You may like to refer to §108(e)(4) and the related regulations.

Still an AllStar
jskouberdis
Level 4

I read that the borrower could possibly have to pickup cancellation of debt income on based on that internal revenue code section.  But let's not go there for now.  My main question is when they pay it off in full with the original loan amount will the holder of the loan realize capital gain or ordinary income.  That is my main concern.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

You have probably read the headline in the Code but not the regs because the answer you're looking for is right there.

Spoiler
OID
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
jskouberdis
Level 4

I read that it may COD income.  I did not see OID

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Did you read the regs?

Still an AllStar
jskouberdis
Level 4

I read a little bit in the regs. and it talked about OID.  Probably I should have been picking up OID pro rata as I was going along but I didn't.  What would be the best way to fix outside of amending returns.  Should I just pick up ordinary income upon the debtor paying off the debt.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If you decide that these provisions should apply to your client, no one here will be able to tell you what you should do other than amending those prior year returns.  There may be a position to be taken, perhaps depending on the NTE, but that would be your call.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers