Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No EIN for multi member LLC (holding stocks to give to EE)

JJK
Level 3

Hello:

My client just brought this to my attention.  In 2019, he created a multi-member LLC to simply hold the stocks that will be giving out to employees (EE).  Mainly, this LLC was treated as a holding trust mechanism and will be giving out stocks to EE when they are entitled to.  No other activity.  My client believed he did not need to file any EIN with IRS and did not need to select any tax entity to file any tax return.   I don't think he is right and this is not ok with law.   Thoughts?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JJK
Level 3
12 Comments 12
sjrcpa
Level 15

"he created" So how are there multi members?

What sort of income or expenses might this LLC (single or multi member) have?

Where did the stock it is holding come from?

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and will be giving out stocks to EE when they are entitled to."

I wonder if this person really meant to have an ESOP. Because that is just weird, otherwise.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
JJK
Level 3

Thank you for your quick response.   At this point, I only knew that this LLC has at least 2-3 members and no income/expense except for holding stocks.   I believe these stocks are transferred out from a current C Corp (has normal operating trade/income/expense) out to this LLC.   However, these stocks are not granted so they are not reported in C Corp financial statements at all.  

0 Cheers
JJK
Level 3

I believe these stocks are held for ESOP.  I think the way of creating this "holding LLC" is wired and this LLC was created for no activity, EIN and no tax return filing.....so wired.

Not sure if IRS will allow a LLC (except Single Member LLC) being created without any EIN and tax return filing???

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Creation of an LLC is a state law matter. IRS has nothing to do with it.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

I don't see where which "stock" is being held, was ever addressed.

An ESOP is like a charitable trust. The ESOP would "own" some or all of that Corporation. The ESOP trust would not have partners; it has beneficiaries.

"Not sure if IRS will allow a LLC (except Single Member LLC) being created without any EIN and tax return filing???"

There should be annual 5500 filings.

It's time to seek professional guidance on this.

0 Cheers
JJK
Level 3

Understood - it's a state matter.   Is it ok to create a LLC without obtaining a EIN and do any tax return filing?  This is my concern. 

0 Cheers
JJK
Level 3

Thank you.   

sjrcpa
Level 15

If it is not required to file a tax return or needed for opening a bank account - yes.

Ex-AllStar
JJK
Level 3

got it.  thank you.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"or needed for opening a bank account"

We are told it is holding some sort of stocks, which needed to be registered or "owned" to that entity somehow and could not be traded without some ID of some sort.

An ESOP doesn't give stock to the employees; it's holding them on behalf of each employee.

Nothing here makes sense so far.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Nothing here makes sense so far."

I agree.

Ex-AllStar