Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Contractor Physical Presence Test

aepcpa
Level 2

Hello Everyone,

I have a client that is a military contractor in Afghanistan. I am doing his 2019 taxes and I'm working on the physical presence test. When I asked him for an address he gave me this military address that corresponds to the US. Does anyone know what kind of address I'm referring to? Do you know if that address can be used for this test?

Thank you,

Anastasia

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

If it's an APO or FPO address, follow the Form 2555 instructions:

Line 1. Enter your entire address including city or town, state or province, country, and ZIP or foreign postal code. If using a military or diplomatic address, include the country in which you are living or stationed.

Then on Line 18, enter the countries where he was located. 

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
BobKamman
Level 15

If it's an APO or FPO address, follow the Form 2555 instructions:

Line 1. Enter your entire address including city or town, state or province, country, and ZIP or foreign postal code. If using a military or diplomatic address, include the country in which you are living or stationed.

Then on Line 18, enter the countries where he was located. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

Imagine that. The answer is in the form instructions.

Ex-AllStar
aepcpa
Level 2

Thank you so much. It’s the first time I’m using this form so I wanted to confirm all I’m doing is correct.

0 Cheers
aepcpa
Level 2

Is being condescending on professional forums considered an acceptable way to conduct ourselves now? That’a good to know. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Just making an observation.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

I wouldn't call it condescension. I would call it frustration. Or maybe exasperation, annoyance, vexation, irritation or disappointment. So many of the questions posted here are answered in IRS instructions or publications. There are times when I have to remind myself to look there first, before asking someone else to do it for me. And if I don't, I deserve a not-so-subtle reminder.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Is being condescending on professional forums considered an acceptable way to conduct ourselves now?"

Depends on the question being asked.  Most folks post questions here without ever taking 30 seconds to try and find an answer for themselves.  The vast majority of questions that get asked here could easily be answered by someone either taking a couple of minutes to read the form instructions or do a quick Google search.  You did mention "professional forum" which tends to indicate this place is being used by professionals.  A good professional will usually try to spend at least a couple of minutes searching for something themselves ------------------------- if for no other reason than to not look stupid when they ask an easily answered question.  I know I tend to do a little searching before I try asking someone else for for help --------------- I dread the thought of looking stupid on a professional forum.  Actually I hate the thought of even looking stupid here ----------- a semi-professional forum.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Thanks Jeff and Bob.

@aepcpa. What they said. I just tend to use fewer words.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha! 😁

Slava Ukraini!
aepcpa
Level 2

Well, to summarise. I am a CPA. I am a professional. I did my research. And I wanted to confirm with another professional. I would rather look stupid a million times and serve my client well.
You are welcome to do business in any way you see fit. And I will do mine as I see fit. You continue to be condescending so I’m gonna say this and conclude this interaction. As we say down here in the south: If you don’t have anything nice to say just don’t say anything.

Have a good one,

Anastasia

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Instead of getting all bent out of shape, why didn't you just post your original question as "I researched my issue and I believe this is the answer.  I just wanted to verify that I came to the correct conclusion,"

You are free to say what you like in the South, but up North we don't worry what folks say because we evidently have thicker skin ---------- I think it helps keep us warm in the winter.

Slava Ukraini!