Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a need to file form 1040X if a dependent name is entered incorrectly on the original return?

Gsouls
Level 3

I processed ITIN application for a client this tax season. ITIN proceessing center sent a letter indicating that the dependent applying for the ITIN is not on the returns. It turned out that the last name of the dependent was entered incorrectly on the tax return, but was entered correctly on the ITIN form (W-7).

The tax return is still with the ITIN processing center. Which of the following options would be best to get this corrected without complicating matters that could further delay the processing?

1. File 1040X

2. Just correct the name on the on the 1040 and write amended on the top right corner of the 1040 return

3. Just correct the name on 1040 and write copy on the top right corner of the 1040 return with an explanatory note since the tax return itself is still with the ITIN processing center and has not yet been sent to the department that processes the returns.

Any expert advise would be much apreciated.

Thank you.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd correct the return, write copy on it ,and also attach an explanation of how the wrong last name was used originally.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

4. Reply to the letter saying the dependent is on the return but the wrong last name was entered.

Ex-AllStar
Gsouls
Level 3

Thank you so much for responding promptly to my question. Here is additional context I did not mention earlier.

The  IRS letter instructs the applicant to submit new ITIN application along with the tax return (copy to be written on top of it). Since the tax return needs to be sent along, I thought it will make sense to correct the last name. Should I correct the last name or leave it as is?

When the name is corrected, does it fall under the category of amendment where 1040X would be needed?

The instruction says write copy on the return, but the original return was edited. Should I write copy/ amended or copy granted that correcting the name is a better option?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd correct the return, write copy on it ,and also attach an explanation of how the wrong last name was used originally.

Ex-AllStar
Gsouls
Level 3

Thank you so much. Much appreciated!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome. Good luck.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers