Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEIC File Format not supported by virus scanner

amayers
Level 1

Hey all,

Can someone please let the engineers who own link.intuit.com that the virus scanner chokes on HEIC files? (HEIC is the new photo file format for iPhones.) It just spins forever and the file never uploads.

It's really annoying to have to print all these files to PDF. Also, it's wasting a ton of Intuit's space, because the PDFs are 10x the size of the photos.

Thanks!

-aB

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You mean to attach to a return that youre Efiling?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You posted this in the Tax Talk section.

I assume you are the invited client of a tax preparer?

You seem to be sending photo files, but the tax preparation programs are a function as an office-type activity that is trying to manage documents. The other option available is the financial institution log in for tax-encoded documents (an industry standard in use for this function).

In other words, this is not a substitute for email or DropBox as storage, but a specific function.

I am sure you have the pdf output function. Example: "Step 2: Tap Print on the Share Sheet. On the Printer Options screen that shows up next, perform a Pinch Out (or Zoom In) gesture. The photo will be converted to the PDF format immediately. If you had multiple images selected, all items would be converted (and combined) automatically."

https://www.guidingtech.com/convert-photo-to-pdf-iphone-ipad/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
amayers
Level 1

Yes, exactly.

0 Cheers
amayers
Level 1

Sure, it's not dropbox. But photos of paper tax documents...are still tax documents even though they're photos.

Adding a "you have to print your photo to a PDF in order to use this site" requirement to someone who's trying to get their documents to their tax preparer efficiently is not user-friendly.

Also, it fails in a rather subtle way. All of the *other* documents upload just fine, so if you've got one HEIC among 40 PDFs, you can easily miss that your tax preparer is missing a document.

-aB

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

This is a peer user community of tax preparers using Intuit's professional preparation programs. We are not Customer support or Technical support or even Intuit personnel. I understood what you asked, I did some research on your behalf, to better understand the issue. That's why I was comfortable providing that input. For instance, iOS is more in use in the arts, but I would never upload a MIDI file to a Tax site.

So, again, all I can do is point out that you would not upload Photos. I happen to know that a pdf is an Image File, which isn't the same as a Photo; it's more like OCR = optical character filetype that a programmer can code for. Also, I pointed out that tax format of txf (tax exchange format)  can be used by most tax programs as their import format standard. And that's the point; your HEIC is, per wikipedia:

"High Efficiency Image File Format is a container format for individual images and image sequences. The standard covers multimedia files that can also include other media streams, such as timed text, audio and video."

And that isn't an Office Work file for purposes of tax preparation. I also offered you what might be a simpler way to use your iPhone to generate photo files as pdf directly, addressing this comment you made:

"It's really annoying to have to print all these files to PDF."

Because you don't have to do that way.

I don't know what more we can do for you here. Sorry.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
amayers
Level 1

Thanks for your help!

-aB

0 Cheers