Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORM 8990

ak2az
Level 2

Taxpayer has K-1 from PTP with Excess Business Interest Expense. Taxpayer does not meet qualifications for limitation on business interest, yet PTO is generating form 8990. No excess taxable income. Critical diagnostic appears "Form 8990, Limitation on Business Interest Expense Under Section 163(j), should be attached as a PDF for electronic filing purposes." 1 - why is Form 8990 generated when taxpayor does not meet qualifications for Section 163(j), 2 - why is PTO requesting Form 8990 must be attached when PTO is generating the form with the tax return?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitKatieB

The 8990 was released in January of this season and currently, the form must be attached as a PDF and is not included in the efile. It is generated in the return so when printing it is included. It is also included in the return preview so that you may easily print the form to PDF and attach to the file.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
ak2az
Level 2

Addendum: I realize Form 8990 is generated to show the Excess Business Interest Expense carryover to next year, as the taxpayer has not excess taxable income nor any business interest income. Still unsure why PTO is generating the form, yet telling me I need to attach as PDF?

0 Cheers
IntuitKatieB

The 8990 was released in January of this season and currently, the form must be attached as a PDF and is not included in the efile. It is generated in the return so when printing it is included. It is also included in the return preview so that you may easily print the form to PDF and attach to the file.

0 Cheers
ak2az
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  That is what I ended up doing. I figured it would be better for the IRS to get 2 forms than none.  However even after printing the 8990 and attaching the PDF, the critical error never went away. I had to ingnore it in order to efile.

Thanks again!