Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire area deadline extensions

BeckyCPA
Level 1

For returns with addresses in the Solano County fire disaster, do I need to check any boxes or do anything for an e-filed return for Fed or CA?

For clients with addresses outside the county, but I, as tax preparer, am in Solano County with all of their records, how do I indicate on an e-filed return to Fed/CA that they should be entitled to the disaster deadline?

Thanks,

BeckyCPA

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Comment 1
MichaelD
Employee
Employee

The IRS automatically provides filing and penalty relief to any taxpayer with an IRS address of record located in the disaster area. Therefore, taxpayers do not need to contact the agency to get this relief. However, if an affected taxpayer receives a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS that has an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date falling within the postponement period, the taxpayer should call the number on the notice to have the penalty abated.

In addition, the IRS will work with any taxpayer who lives outside the disaster area but whose records necessary to meet a deadline occurring during the postponement period are located in the affected area. Taxpayers qualifying for relief who live outside the disaster area need to contact the IRS at 866-562-5227. This also includes workers assisting the relief activities who are affiliated with a recognized government or philanthropic organization.

Michael D

0 Cheers