Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

federal tax refund delays

Calvin69
Level 1

I have several tax clients that have not yet received their federal refunds although they have received their state refunds weeks ago.  Some have been waiting for nearly three months.  The IRS website only states that their returns have been received and are being processed.  The returns were efiled.  Does anyone have any information what is taking so long?

Kevin Tucker

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theyre blaming it on COVID.

If its been more than 8 weeks, you can call into PPS and see if they can tell what the hold up is, chances are they wont be able to see anything more than you can.   Ive got one stuck in there as processing since 3/30 (simple return, Single with W2s and a little interest), last week I got PPS to escalate it and they told me to call back again in 30 days if still no movement.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The IRS website only states that their returns have been received and are being processed."

There is no reason not to believe that status.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
dkh
Level 15

I called PPS approx two weeks ago for two clients with refunds "stuck" in the system.  Was told nothing the agent could do, need to wait, letters aren't being sent out yet, covid delay, etc etc   Surprisingly these two clients refunds have since been processed.   Today a client called - same situation - refund "stuck" in system. I tried to call PPS, received message "Too busy, call another day", was disconnected.    Sigh........covid

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

And on the news the pundits are projecting IRS will simply extend the date to Oct without needing to file extension forms, since no one is at the IRS offices to notice you filed for the extension, anyway.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.