Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expenses paid with PPP funds

johnicahorton
Level 1

What can anyone tell me about deductability of expenses paid with money from PPP loans.  It's my understanding that as it stands now, no deductions for 2020 expenses covered by PPP money (even if loan is forgiven it's a separate thing.)  I know many have hoped this would be addressed.  Can anyone tell me the status - whether deductions are dis-allowed if paid with PPP money?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

8 Comments 8
abctax55
Level 15

As of 11.12.20 - the expenses are not deductible.  Whether they are *not deductible* in 2020 if the loan forgiveness doesn't occur until 2021.... better minds than mine are debating it on other forums with no consensus of opinion.

Stay tuned for changes to that if/when Congress decides to play nice together & doing some of the work we pay them to do.

If not resolved by filing time... extensions may be wise.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

As of now, expenses not deductible if paid with forgiven PPP loan.

Perhaps not deductible in 2020 even though forgiveness may not happen until 2021.

https://www.taxnotes.com/featured-news/ppp-borrowers-brace-potentially-problematic-irs-guidance/2020...

As Anna said, we need to wait and see.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Whether they are *not deductible* in 2020 if the loan forgiveness doesn't occur until 2021.... better minds than mine are debating it on other forums with no consensus of opinion."

But the point is, you also are not reporting it as Income. There is no Income to report and no deduction to report. That's the benefit.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I concur with @sjrcpa @abctax55 @qbteachmt 

This could definitely be a cluster once tax season begins if congress/IRS dont hash this out with some sort of guidance. I think extensions may be wise. I hadnt thought that far ahead but I like the idea. 

abctax55
Level 15

Michele - not exactly.

The fact it isn't income is not questioned.  The original intent was that the expenses were STILL deductible; the IRS issued a ruling contradicting that.  The discrepancy needs resolution - and only Congress can do that.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

The way Washington works these days, I'm going to guess that they will pass legislation to make the expenses deductible on 4/16/21.  You can't fix stupid, but evidently you can vote for stupid to send them to Washington.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@abctax55 "The discrepancy needs resolution - and only Congress can do that"

Remember we do have a third branch of government.  

abctax55
Level 15

@BobKamman 

True... we will just have to wait & see on that as a possible solution.

( Generic Comment )"