Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expense vs Capitalize Prior to Storage Facility in Build Out Phase

mtw
Level 1

I have an LLC client that is in the construction phase of the buildout of a storage facility. This entity will be considered a small business with gross receipts under $25M.  The facility is expected to open in 2019. Can we expense "indirect expenses" (loan interest, property taxes, insurance) on the 2018 tax return? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitJim
Employee
Employee

Matt, thank you for joining our community! Based on your facts, For Federal, I think you have 2 choices: 1) an investment property where investment interest may be deductible on 4952/ Schedule A up to investment income, property taxes would be deductible on Schedule A as real estate taxes up to $10K, insurance would not be deductible OR 2) you have pre-productive expenses that should be capitalized until the property is income producing. Carrying charges include the taxes and interest you pay to carry or develop real property.

For more, see Carrying Charges on page 24, Pub 535:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
IntuitJim
Employee
Employee

Matt, thank you for joining our community! Based on your facts, For Federal, I think you have 2 choices: 1) an investment property where investment interest may be deductible on 4952/ Schedule A up to investment income, property taxes would be deductible on Schedule A as real estate taxes up to $10K, insurance would not be deductible OR 2) you have pre-productive expenses that should be capitalized until the property is income producing. Carrying charges include the taxes and interest you pay to carry or develop real property.

For more, see Carrying Charges on page 24, Pub 535:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf

0 Cheers