Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economic Impact Payment stimulus received and IRS (!) withdrawal deducted

User FIDO 61
Level 8

Schedule C business received Stimulus and also discovered deducted Payment supposedly by IRS. On the same day, Stimulus received was $2,400 and, Payment deducted approximately $4,500. This client has/had no know delinquent outstanding anything with any relevant federal state or local government entities... 

Has anyone else gotten reports of similar happening?

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Knee-jerk reaction, this has got to be something like a 2019 balance due EFT or maybe a 1Q-ES 2020 payment scheduled a while ago and forgotten about?

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
rbynaker
Level 13

Knee-jerk reaction, this has got to be something like a 2019 balance due EFT or maybe a 1Q-ES 2020 payment scheduled a while ago and forgotten about?

itonewbie
Level 15

Agree, especially since $4,500 is such a clean number.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
User FIDO 61
Level 8

These are voucher folk, handwriting and sending paper checks. This particular Partner/Preparer is paper based. 2019 is yet to be filed. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If your client goes by vouchers, how is the IRS able to deduct anything from the bank account, absent a lien/levy?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
rbynaker
Level 13

@itonewbie wrote:

If your client goes by vouchers, how is the IRS able to deduct anything from the bank account, absent a lien/levy?

Also, how did the IRS get bank info for direct deposit?

itonewbie
Level 15

I suppose the taxpayer could have submitted the direct debit info somehow.  But even then, the IRS doesn't have any authority to withdraw money from that account, using that info, and without any lien/levy.

It just doesn't add up.

Still an AllStar
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Prior year overpayments refunded into business account supplied the account information is the theory 

New bread crumbs, all occurring the same date:

• $2,400.00 deposited
  • $4,508.52 withdrawn
  • $126.00 withdrawn
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Get a transcript or statement for the back account and check it's really the IRS.  Just don't see how the IRS can pull funds out of the account.

Forget about the advance refund - that has no relevance to what happened to your client's account, IMHO.

Still an AllStar
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Appreciate all the participation. I will let you know as this continues to unfold. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Would love to hear back.  I'm curious as to what actually happened.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
User FIDO 61
Level 8

⚠️  Occam's razor strikes again. It was the previously scheduled 941 deposit.  ⚠️

Sorry that's far less satisfying than anticipated. 🤣 Cheers!  🍻 

rbynaker
Level 13

Ah, thanks.  And the $126 was FUTA?

Edit:  I'll answer my own question.  Yes.  3 employees.  If I were in a better state of mind I would have caught that earlier!  Crazy year.

User FIDO 61
Level 8

@rbynaker for the win, folks!

Yep. FUTA. Client pays as they go. 

Agreed - if I can remember back to when I had a "better state of mind!?"