Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earned income credit - deceased taxpayer or child at home

FLtax
Level 2

1)Taxpayer passed away in March 21 and had only earned $10,000 W-2, single no kids. I know he is eligible for full standard deduction. Is he also eligible for full EIC credit?

2)Another scenario. 30yr old kid lives with parents. Eared $12,000 on W2. Is he also eligible for EIC? (No Investment income, us citizen, parents can't claim due to age and income threshold). 

Both seem unlikely candidates, but rules seem to indicate they eligible. Is this correct?

Thank you

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
BobKamman
Level 15

Why not?

We're not here to play Alfred Doolittle and apply middle-class morality.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

"30yr old kid" <== this makes my day. Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Let's not get into cultural bias here. 

"Italian men have their first child at an average age of 33, against less than 31 for fathers in Spain, France and Finland, Istat said. Part of the problem was that many Italian men lived with their parents for longer than elsewhere in the world, with 40 percent of 30-34 year-old Italian males still staying at home."

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna9760232 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Let's not get into cultural bias here."

I have no idea what that means or what it applies to. Sorry, but you seem to be in the deep end of some pool, on your own. To spell out the concepts:

"kid" is young person.

"child" would be a relationship label.

30-years old would be Child, but not Kid, such as "Adult child." But all of us have met 30-year old kids. I rest my case.

I have no idea why someone would bring nationalities into this.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I have an aunt that is 99 and still living in her own home.  She was talking to my wife one day about the neighborhood kid that mowed her lawn for her.  My wife has the picture of a teenager in her mind as my aunt is talking.  I know the "kid" that she is referring to is 60+ years old.  So everyone has their own perspectives and what they define as a kid.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I know the "kid" that she is referring to is 60+ years old."

Which also makes my day. I find it amusing.

I have no idea what tangent Bob rode out on.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15
Britannica Dictionary definition of KID
[count] informal
: a son or daughter : child
  • She has to leave early and pick up her kids at school.
  • He has a wife and two kids.
: a young person
  • I loved to play hopscotch when I was a kid. [=child]
  • I wish I could do something to help that poor kid.
  • I know he seems very mature, but he's really still just a kid. [=he's still very young]
  • a bunch of college kids [=young people who are attending college]
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Taxpayer 1, has Living Will, fatal illness in March after he has earned $10K, and they pull the plug.

Taxpayer 2, no Living Will, fatal illness in March after he has earned $10K but kept alive all year on life support (this is in Florida, where they do things like that).  

Which would you allow EIC?  Which would you deny it?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Your definitions seem like an attempt to make some point. I was amused. I still don't know what happened at your end of this topic, Bob. Do I need to find the definition for Amused?

0 Cheers
FLtax
Level 2

While I find all of this very entertaining and proof that we are in the final stretch of the season, Is there a consensus that both qualify?

And yes also proof accountants do have a sense of humor. lol!!!!!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes

Slava Ukraini!
FLtax
Level 2

Thank you!! 

sjrcpa
Level 15

What about baby goat?

Ex-AllStar