Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Illinois offer an adjust for out of state unemployment payments?

SwimDad
Level 3

Have a client from Illinois that works for the airlines and flies out of Newark.  Due to COVID client was furlough last year and got unemployment checks from New Jersey.  Claimed the amount on federal return, but NJ does tax unemployment income.  Illinois starts with federal adjustment income but haven't come across any adjustment on Schedule M or any other form that would provide relief on removing the unemployment income from New Jersey on the clients Illinois taxes.

Does anyone have any insights on this matter?

Thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

4 Comments 4
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

On the federal info worksheet in section X1 is a worksheet to allocate income for your situation

SwimDad
Level 3

Good suggestion, but I couldn't open a nonresident State Allocation Worksheet.  I could for the part year, but client live in Illinois for the full year.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@SwimDad  Did you check box "nonresident state filers" almost at bottom of federal info worksheet

0 Cheers
SwimDad
Level 3

Thanks for the tip as it allowed me to complete a NR worksheet.  But didn't  impact the results as the amount due remained the same probably because didn't have to pay any NJ taxes.  Appreciate the time you took to give me afew tips.