Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date E-Filing for 2020 submission starts

Brentt
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

9 Comments 9
itonewbie
Level 15

Maybe late Jan, if history is any guide but this is a year like no other.

You can check the latest MeF status update here: https://www.marketingexpress.irs.gov/systems-status/system-status-mef/modernized-efile-mef-operation...

But you should really sign up for the IRS' e-News update for tax professionals: https://service.govdelivery.com/accounts/USIRS/subscriber/new

Also check this Community periodically for Intuit's own product updates.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Unless you are asking about Tur'do'Tax.... they generally get to start earlier 🙂

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It will be interesting how many early filers get messed up with the recent Stimulus check.  I suspect a number of people will say "no, I didn't get that", and file their tax return claiming the credit, then they get the second Stimulus payment a few days later.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

LOL.  I just went to the TurboTax forum and the first question that I see says "I didn't get my $600 Stimulus Check".

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/hello-i-did-not-receive-my-2021-600-stim...

abctax55
Level 15

Should we start a pool 🤣

I'd bet a bunch that there will be issues, and not JUST on TurboTax.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

Even more LOL - It's the *2021* payment not received (isn't this just the 2nd day of 2021 ??), S/he is an *independent* and has filed the 2021 tax return.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@abctax55  "Should we start a pool "

The more important speculation should be the due date of 2020 returns.  If it's not July 15, I expect at least June 15, which gets it into this fiscal year for many states.  The problem is that IRS has been muzzled, and pronouncements must come from Treasury.  But they've lost most of their credibility there, and appear to be hiding under a rock.  I don't expect any guidance until early February.  

The start date for e-filing isn't that important, is it?  What concerns most people is when the big refunds from EIC and CTC will be released.  Let's hope the Russians didn't hack into that filter.  

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"...The start date for e-filing isn't that important, is it?"

Not for me, or for my clients.

1) I don't start appointments until late January (not that I'm doing in-office ones this year)

2) Few of my clients are overpaid, and if they are - it is usually applied to the next year anyway.

It's the self-prepared folks that are in such a hurry as they can't/don't manage their withholding to avoid lending all that money to the government for free.  Or the ones getting those large subsidy payments of CTC, EIC etc.

And do any of those folks even HAVE their W-2's yet ?!?!  Perhaps I'm just living in a different (tax) world 😂

( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

And do any of those folks even HAVE their W-2's yet ?!?!  

It's scary how many TurboTax questions indicate they are trying to use their last paystub to file their tax returns.

But a lot of the large payroll processors make W-2s available electronically, and they are often available very early in January (it should be all automated, so the computer could hypothetically spit things out a 12:01am on January 1st).