Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covered Individual on 1095-A will be filing separate tax return

kjharris
Level 1

If 1095-A is provided to a parent who covered two dependent children....but now one of the children will NOT be a dependent and will be filing a separate return.  I understand that there has to be a shared policy allocation.  But does the adult child need to include a 1095-A with their tax return as well as the 8962 Form? And if so, which name should be in Part I (Recipient)? The parent who received the 1095-A or the adult child?  Who should be listed in Part II - Covered Individuals? All that were covered under the policy or just the adult child taxpayer?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

8 Comments 8
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
0 Cheers
kjharris28
Level 1

Thanks. I did read that thread previously, but it didn't seem to answer the question about whether the other taxpayer needs to provide their own 1095-A.  I think maybe the taxpayer just uses the information to complete the Form 8962 and doesn't have to include a 1095-A? 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Your client needs to file a 1095A. From the IRS instruction:  Information about individuals enrolled in the same policy as the tax filer’s tax family who are not members of that tax family, including children, must be reported on a separate Form 1095-A.

0 Cheers
kjharris28
Level 1

So, his name should be reported as the "recipient" in Part I?  And in Part II (covered individuals), should it be only him, or should it list all parties that were covered under the policy? 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@TaxGuyBill is the expert on health care, maybe he will jump in and help out, but I believe you are correct

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What software are you using?

Enter the 1095-A on both tax returns, just as it shows.  Then enter the allocation information and the software should do the rest.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Thanks @TaxGuyBill 

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks a lot, I have the same problem but I do not know about : Then enter the allocation information.

How can I do that?

Please help me since I am confused. 

0 Cheers