Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering ProSeries or Drake software from Lacerte

mscpa30
Level 2

I am considering changing tax software from Lacerte.  I've used it for 20+ years, but I am a firm of one CPA with 2 support staff and Lacerte is just too expensive.  Constant price increases.  I've looked at Drake and Pro Series.  Any advice?  Thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

24 Comments 24
rbynaker
Level 13

It's too late to change now so contact a bunch of other software providers after tax season.  Most will give you a free demo copy of the software (or sometimes free full copy but without efile privileges) to evaluate.  See what meets your needs.  It's really going to depend on the types of forms you need most often for your clients.  If you do a lot of farm returns, for example, you might shy away from ProSeries who won't be ready to file them this year until 2/25 (even though they're due 3/1).

sjrcpa
Level 15

Drake is about to be (or has been) acquired by a Venture Capital firm, so I would consider there will be price increases and decline in customer service.

Ex-AllStar
mscpa30
Level 2

Thank you for the info!!

0 Cheers
mscpa30
Level 2

Thank you for the info!

abctax55
Level 15

If (when?) I change software, I would move away from anything/everything Intuit related. 

ProSeries is an Intuit product (yes, much cheaper than Lacerte) but Intuit's attention to programming, customer service, etc has declined so drastically over the last few years that it is difficult to recommend it.   

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
bobbyeyes
Level 3

Myself and others are changing after this season...Constant price increases and bad customer support..

I called 2 customer support people to ask why I am getting popups all the time they had No clue. 

My friend told me to shut off the popup settings in the settings problem solved..

hattiemwl
Level 2

I have used ProSeries for 7-years, each time I call I get someone that is professional and knowledgeable plus the program is easy to move around in. I seriously do not think I will move to another program.

CindyG
Level 1

Although there are some cool things in the Drake software, Lacerte is the way to go.  We did the same thing as you about 10 years ago...after struggling for 3 weeks, we called Lacerte and re-upped our contract and left Drake to die a slow death on our hard drive.  Yes, it's cheaper, and yes, you get what you pay for.

dascpa
Level 11

Finally a question that's not - stimulus check related, or when will Form x be available.  I've been with ProSeries for close to a zillion year, plus or minus. I've taken the Drake in-person demo and also downloaded Lacerte. I've also tried ProConnect. Bottom line, they all suck in one way or another. What is good for this one is bad for the other. We've posted before that ProSeries is a good basic program but it's best feature is it's form driven rather than input sheet driven. It's worst feature is its customer support. A prior post is correct, after tax season you can get a free demo program. Try them out and see what works best for your firm. There's a reason Baskin Robins sells 31 flavors.

Morena
Level 1

I am trying to decide between Drake and Pro Series, may I ask who did you decide to go with between the both? Thanks!

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Bottom line for me was Drake (which has a higher customer satisfaction rating) is an input sheet program whereas ProSeries is a tax form input program.  Easier for me to think along those lines.

And then after 20-30 years, I'm too old and tired to change and worry about what did or did not transfer for each client.

Morena
Level 1

Thank you for the info. 

0 Cheers
davidlan
Level 1
0 Cheers

I would go with TaxAct Professional. The 2021 version is pretty awesome. Drake is very hard to use and Lacerte very expensive. Intuit Proconnect is so expensive. It used to be very affordable in the beginning but they keep increasing it every year and you have to pay for each return.

0 Cheers
NBch205
Level 1

Thank you for your info!! It helps me a lot 

Sửa chữa điện thoại

myshem
Level 1

I'm thinking to switch to TaxAct Professional from Ultimate tax.

does anyone have experience in both and if it's a good decision? 

0 Cheers

I have experience with TaxAct since tax year 2002 and every year it gets better. It really great! I like it over Drake. I don't like Drake at all.

0 Cheers
myshem
Level 1

Which software have you used before if any?

0 Cheers

I used Lacerte. It is very good but overpriced and unaffordable. Drake has a hard learning curve. Intuit Tax Online is good but very expensive to pay for each return. I found TaxAct Professional the best one for me.

myshem
Level 1

Besides the money is Pro Series worth it?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

@myshem 

Do you mean Ultra Tax?

Or is there an Ultimate Tax?

Ex-AllStar

I never used that software before.

0 Cheers

I never used Proseries but I heard of it. Lacerte is the best but way unaffordable. I will stick with TaxAct Professional. I like their saving to the cloud feature and many other features.

0 Cheers
myshem
Level 1

Can anyone say if Ultra Tax is good after pro series? 

0 Cheers