Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business use of home deduction for farm activity

pacoford
Level 4

How can I claim business use of home deduction for Schedule F? Schedule C is automatically generated and cannot be deleted without also deleting 8829.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Form 8829 is only for Schedule C, but it can be used as  worksheet for other office deductions  (Schedule F, Schedule E, Partnership K-1, etc.).  After filling it out as a worksheet, you can enter the actual deduction on the appropriate Schedule.

If you want to know whether or not your software has as the ability to use a Worksheet-8829, you would need to tell us what software you use.  Otherwise, just print out your current 8829, then delete it and put the deduction somewhere on Schedule F.

BobKamman
Level 15

There's an interesting story behnd that.  In 2007, the National Taxpayer Advocate held a forum in Omaha (across the river from Iowa, a farm state whose Senator Grassley was a Big Kahuna on the Senate Finance Committee.  Someone asked why there was not a line on Schedule F for office in home, like there is on Schedule C.  She thought that was a great idea, called back to Washington and in a couple days get the forms branch to agree to the  change.  She bragged about the fast action at the next forum she held, in Phoenix.  When the promised line never appeared, I asked several times what happened.  Eventually I got the answer that it was decided (by someone) that the line was not needed after all.  

(File under "Deep State.")

pacoford
Level 4

I am using ProSeries Basic 2019

0 Cheers
pacoford
Level 4

Thank you for that info...very interesting!

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

ProSeries does not have a Home Office worksheet to link to Schedule F, so you need to manually do it.

pacoford
Level 4

Thank you!

0 Cheers