Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending PY return from IRS transcript and schedule C doesn't balance?

Wondering if anyone has experience amending a prior year return from a transcript?

The client cannot get a copy of his 2017 return. Its a 1040 and the only income is from schedule C, but it does include depreciation. I am trying to recreate the original return to file a 1040X.

I am confused about the schedule C on the transcript. It has all the expense categories listed, i.e. COGS, Insurance, Travel, R&M, Other, etc. Then it has a line for total expenses. When I total all the expense categories, I get about $300,000 less than their total. Its like there are some expenses on the return that are omitted on the transcript but still included in the total business expense. How imperative is it that the Schedule C that I recreate is an exact match to the schedule C that was included with the originally filed return? I have the QB file so I can see which expenses aren't showing on the transcript. I'm more concerned about putting them on the wrong lines, why they aren't listed as a line item on the transcript and how particular the IRS is about it. I am only amending the return to carry a loss back, which is a whole other question I will post separately. 

That question also applies to the depreciation question. I know the depreciation for the year, but I don't know the breakdown of the equipment and the types of depreciation. If the depreciation expense on the schedule C matches the the originally filed return, and the schedule c income reported on the 1040 is correct, will they reject the amended return because I don't have the depreciation schedule exactly matching? 

Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

If nothing on the Sch C changes as a result of the amendment, you won't be submitting the Sch C. So don't worry about it if you have the correct net.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

If nothing on the Sch C changes as a result of the amendment, you won't be submitting the Sch C. So don't worry about it if you have the correct net.

Ex-AllStar

Thank you so much!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar