Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10,200 unemployment compensation exception for dependents

ss72
Level 1

New Exclusion of up to $10,200 of Unemployment Compensation

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-compensation

Does this rule apply to dependent children unearned/unemployment income? Is parent income not taken into account when applying this rule? What if parent income is more than the AGI limit of $150K to exclude $10,200 amount?

I noticed that while filing return for my kid who has unearned income greater than $2,200, the schedule 1 line # 8 entry is UCE (unemployment compensation exclusion)  with a negative amount that offsets unemployment compensation from line #7.

Form 8615, line 6 is showing parent income correctly and the children is claimed as dependent.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

Dependents are eligible for the unemployment exclusion.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

@ss72 

"My kid"?

Are you using ProSeries, ProConnect or Lacerte to prepare your Clients' tax return?

Otherwise...

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte , and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers