Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QBI/199A on multiple businesses

jflinton
Level 2

I have a client that has 2 Schedule C businesses, one under the SSN and one under an EIN.  One business has a loss, the other a profit.  I though the QBI deduction was based on each business, not the businesses in total.  Right now, there is no QBI because the loss is bigger than the profit.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

The software is correct. If the net income/loss of all Qualified Businesses on the return is a loss there is no QBI deduction. Further, the loss carries forward for use in computing next year's deduction.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Rexamine your understanding of the QBI with regard to multiple business, becuase you will not get a QBI deduction while claiming a net business loss.

jflinton
Level 2
I don't expect to get a QBI on a loss.

Business A has a profit of $250. Business B has a loss of $400.

Does Business A get the QBID? (This was my understanding - each business stands on its own.)

Right now, PCO is netting Business A and Business B together for a loss of $150.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The software is correct. If the net income/loss of all Qualified Businesses on the return is a loss there is no QBI deduction. Further, the loss carries forward for use in computing next year's deduction.

Ex-AllStar
jflinton
Level 2

Thank you!  There have been so many changes and changes to changes, that I wasn't sure anymore.

0 Cheers