Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q5 of Recovery Rebate Worksheet - Is this Accurate?

Gsouls
Level 3

Can someone help me understand why for question 5 of the recovery rebate worksheet, the taxpayer with SSN, who lived in the US entire year will not qualify to claim the rebate if he/she has dependents with no SSN. When I check "No" to this question, all figures disappear. In fact, it says "stop, you cannot take the credit".

My question is does stimulus check 3 require dependents to have SSN for taxpayers who have SSN to qualify to claim the rebate? That is what this question appears to suggest. Taxpayer has SS, but dependents are yet to apply for ITIN and when I answer no to this question, taxpayer loses the rebate. Is this accurate?

Also, spouse just arrived in the US in December, can the rebate be claimed for the spouse?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

You can google:

eip 3 irs

And then read all the IRS reference, FAQ, and even go through the interactive wizards for these things.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Gsouls
Level 3

Thank you so much for your response. Actually, I have read all of the FAQs and other legibility requirements and did not find any information on the scenario I am describing here.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You missed reading something on Line 2.

Line 2.jpg

0 Cheers