Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MJS efile when spouse doesn't have SS#

cherylgolich
Level 2

Can I efile a return when spouse on MFS return doesn't have a SS#. Spouse is a not a resident/citizen. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can prepare the return as MFJ to go along with the W7 when they request the ITIN. 

You wont be able to Efile without a SSN or ITIN.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

You can e-file an MFS return without the NRA spouse's ITIN.  However, some tax software may have limitations that would not permit e-filing of these returns.  Lacerte and PTO will allow e-filing of these returns provided you have checked the box that it is an MFS return and the spouse is an NRA without an ITIN.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Interesting, ProSeries does not appear to have this ability.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-Have seen other PS users complaining about that.  Not a problem with Lacerte/PTO with the right box checked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Vic
Level 1

Yes, you right, Pro series won't let you print with a 1040 form with a blank in the S.S. #. It will send an error message. I think if we write in the blank area a fake number and erase it after printing it out could be a way to solve the problem.   

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Will it accept NRA?

I don't use ProSeries so I don't know.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers