Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K-1 from out-of-state business

asparrow08
Level 2

Do taxpayers who receive K-1's from businesses whose income is generated in a different state need to file a non-resident return in that state (assuming there's enough income to require a return)?

For example, a Florida resident receives an 1120S K-1 (50% owner of S-corp) based out of Maryland.  All income from this business is generated in MD.  Is a nonresident MD return required?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

12 Comments 12
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes, if the amount is over the state's filing threshold.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Sometimes

sjrcpa
Level 15

And they are likely to get back some of the MD nonresident withholding when they file the MD return.

Ex-AllStar
asparrow08
Level 2

Withholding from what?  There were no MD taxes withheld on the W2 and there aren't any withheld on the K-1.

0 Cheers
asparrow08
Level 2

Sometimes as in if there's enough income to require a tax return?  Or sometimes for another reason?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

There should have been for the K-1 income.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Even if no distributions were made?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

States tax on income earned, not distributions.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

MD doesn't care. If there is income on the K-1 they want their cut and they do it with "withholding".

Ex-AllStar
asparrow08
Level 2

So you're saying that MD requires you to withhold taxes on K-1 income?  I haven't seen that.  I read that the business pays a "pass through entity nonresident tax" if they have nonresident members.  I guess the concept is the same as what you're saying, but I wouldn't consider that withholding.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes that's it. Excuse my "slang"

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

If the entity filed a composite/group nonresident return your client does not have to file a MD return.

Ex-AllStar