Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited IRA non-spouse

wrongblog
Level 1

My daughter was the beneficiary of an inherited IRA from her grandfather over 10 years ago when he passed away. He -- and we as parents -- fully intended for these funds to be used for college tuition expenses (as it happens, private tuition). Our daughter is 20 and remains our dependent. We fully planned for tuition to come from these resources, even though we are supplementing with a 529, which will cover 2 of her 4 years. The question is, how do we minimize her tax burden on the IRA distributions since we are in a 32% tax bracket? She is heavily penalized by the IRS by our income level (kiddie tax!), and the college heavily penalizes her given the IRA assets in her own name. What is the most tax strategic way to distribute her IRA? It seems very challenging... I know we are in a fortunate situation, but this directly pits my own retirement against her insane college tuition.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Greetings New User - ,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support of the not so professional .

Have a wonderful day!

P.S. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/inherited-ira-how-much-rmd-my-beneficiaries-... may be a good start, but I suggest you find a local tax professional to help you out.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

Greetings New User - ,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support of the not so professional .

Have a wonderful day!

P.S. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/inherited-ira-how-much-rmd-my-beneficiaries-... may be a good start, but I suggest you find a local tax professional to help you out.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
qbteachmt
Level 15

Also, this account username you created to be able to post here, is the same one to use for the TurboTax Community. Your log in will work the same, there.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.