Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICO Rejects Team AUSPC IRS Notice

sabiduria
Level 3

An IRS notice was sent rejecting an amended return with the following instructions:

Schedule 8812 is incomplete or missing from your return. Complete the schedule with information that supports [refund amount] on line 18b, Form 1040. Also attach all supporting forms or schedules, as required. 

Schedule 8812 was sent along with the amended 1040x. Is it possible that the IRS also wants to see the schedule 8812 worksheet? The worksheet was not sent out. 

we went over schedule 8812 and everything appears fine. Now, the only amount that we cannot figure it out where it came from is line 1 of the schedule 8812. The schedule 8812 worksheet has a 0 for line 8 and the schedule 8812 has an amount there. 

Can anyone shed some light? 

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
dkh
Level 15

Was the amended return efiled or mailed ?   If mailed, is it possible IRS keep punched incorrect amounts?  Or are you saying you cannot figure out the information on the 8812 you submitted with 1040X?

sabiduria
Level 3

Hi dkh,

the amended return was mailed in. As for the comment about line 1 on scheduled 8812, I know where that amount came from  - Value on line 1 is based on the number of qualifying children under age 17. 

As per the notice from the IRS, it says: schedule 8812 is incomplete or missing from your return...

It is not missing as we are for sure we sent it in. So it must be incomplete, but that's what we are trying to figure it out as everything appears to be correct.

The one thing that I could think of that we forgot to send in is the schedule 8812 work sheet. Not sure if this worksheet needed to be sent in. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Don't overthink this.  How many staples did you use?  Maybe too few, maybe not enough.  I think IRS scans all the 1040-X returns and they are actually worked by someone who is just looking at a computer screen.  Either the scanner missed a page, or it was wrong side up.  Just send them another copy.  

sabiduria
Level 3

Thanks BobKamman. Do you know if the schedule 8812 worksheet needed to be sent in? Or do they require this worksheet? 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@sabiduria    8812 worksheet not required.   Do as Bob says, send them another copy of F8812. 

BobKamman
Level 15

I don't think it's required, but at this point it wouldn't hurt.  

sabiduria
Level 3

Thank you guys

dkh
Level 15

You're welcome.   

I have to say I don't envy you having to deal with that when corresponding with IRS is a mess and during the rush of tax season.

sabiduria
Level 3

I know, every time you have to deal with the IRS, it is a mess. 

sabiduria
Level 3

So after about two hours of holding and about an hour of talking to several IRS reps, came to find out that the notice was in referenced to the original return. Everything appears to be fine with the amended return, that's what the last IRS rep informed us. 

Three hours of my time wasted for their mistake. 

Abby125
Level 1

IRS letter says form 8885 is needed what is it and where do I get it 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@Abby125     Did you go the IRS website and look up the form? 

0 Cheers
Abby125
Level 1

No can I take a picture of information and download and send it on my phone 

0 Cheers