Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received an Economic Stimulus Check payable to myself and my deceased husband---I returned the check--How Long will it take for me to receive a new one payable to me

Kaye2
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Nobody here can answer that, sorry.   We're in uncharted territory, nobody knows what to expect these days.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

Actually, we're not in uncharted territory, it's just that the 2020 law says the same thing as the 2008 law,  and in 2008 the IRS told people to keep the funds paid to decedents.  The chart was there, it was just redrawn.  The courts may end up saying the same thing this year as was done in 2008, especially for decedents who died in 2020.  But for those who ask "how high?" when IRS says "Jump!", the instructions were as follows:

Return the entire Payment unless the Payment was made to joint filers and one spouse had not died before receipt of the Payment, in which case, you only need to return the portion of the Payment made to the decedent. This amount will be $1,200 unless adjusted gross income exceeded $150,000. If you cannot deposit the payment because it was issued to both spouses and one spouse is deceased, return the check as described in Question 54. Once the IRS receives and processes your returned payment, an Economic Impact Payment will be reissued.

I would not bet on IRS reissuing the check, because they are making things up as they go along.  Nor would I assume that the surviving spouse can claim the $1,200 credit on a 2020 return next year, because IRS computers may still show the payment as having been issued.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Kaye2 

You are lost on the internet; this is a forum for professional tax preparers.

For Stimulus issues, use this link for IRS FAQs:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

After all, the IRS is in charge of the stimulus program.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers