Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig Economy

rcooley25
Level 11

I would love to hear from as many of you as possible even if you do not agree with me. I would like your thoughts. Regarding the gig economy it appears that it is going to be here we go again. Again there is a big move in some parts of the country to have people who drive for Uber, Lift, and Doordash to be classified as employees rather than independant contractors so they can get benifits that they are not presently entitled to. If this happens they will have to work when they are told to work and not when they want to.  And they will have to pick up any order they are given whether it is big or  small. Besides that they will not be allowed a tax write off  for the use of their car expenses like gasoline. maint or depreciation. Unless the company gives them a company car to drive or agrees to give them a company credit card for gasoline purchases do these people  who want to be called employees, do they realise how they are getting screwed on their income taxes since employees are not permited to write off employee business expenses any more? Maybe I have been drinking too much fireball lately but it seems the people who are pushing for this need their head examined. After all they knew or should have known what they were getting into when they signed up for this job.

10 Comments 10
BobKamman
Level 15

There is no big move in some parts of the country.  A driver can be classified as an employee in some places, now or under proposed changes, and still set their hours and collect standard mileage rate from compensation they earn that would otherwise not be allocated to such expenses.  Drivers already have rules about when they can redline passengers or deliveries.  

Keep calm and have another Fireball. 

rcooley25
Level 11

You are wrong sir. As I am sending this reply to you it is going on in the state of California again.

BobKamman
Level 15

I don't consider truckdrivers to be part of the gig economy.  If you want to talk about AB5, then you should say so.  

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I never once mention truck drivers. I dont know where the hell you ever got the Idea I was talking about them. Oh well I did say that I wanted to hear from all of you even if you did not agree with me and you certainly met that request.

BobKamman
Level 15

You mentioned California, and the issue there is with truckdrivers.  Uber and Lyft drivers won the ballot issue in 2020, about remaining independent contractors.  I know.  A family member worked on the campaign.  What is going on now is truckdriver opposition to employee classification, because they aren't gig workers. 

"AB5 became the law covering an estimated 70,000 owner-operators in the Golden State after Judge Roger Benitez of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California refused a California Trucking Association (CTA) challenge to enforcement of AB5 against the trucking industry."

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/article/confusion_adjustments_follow_new_california_ab5_ruling_on_owne...

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I did not know this about the truck drivers. This is the first I have heard of it. How ever I have read on the Internet and google that the same people who wanted Lift, Uber and door dash drivers classified as employees are at it again. Even though they have already lost this in court they are trying to get the law change. I would sujest that you and I have a glass of fireball and declare a truce.

California is very friend to employees. I thought AB5 would hurt gig drivers mainly in the manner described by the poster, and polls show that they didn't want those laws, so I didn't support it.  The California AB5 law is misguided.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

As the saying goes, the only poll that counts is the one on Election Day.  The matter was decided for "gig economy" drivers in California, two years ago.

"Proposition 22 was a ballot initiative in California on the November 2020 state election which passed with 59% of the vote and granted app-based transportation and delivery companies an exception to Assembly Bill 5"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_California_Proposition_22  

0 Cheers

How did you vote?  Or, how would you have voted, assuming you were not a California resident at the time?

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

If you have read my previous texs it should be apparent by now how I would have voted if I lived in California. But since it is not apparent to you here goes. I would have voted against making gig workers employees.