Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1099 NEC

jalessneo
Level 1

I have a client who worked as an independent contractor for a small landscaping company, but did not receive a Form 1099 for the work he did either because it wasn't reported by his employer or due to him moving. He left on bad terms and does not want to contact his old boss about it. He cannot provide me an accurate amount of what he made while working and I am trying to determine what amount if any, the employer reported. Can the IRS provide me his wage information based on what has been reported under his social security number? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LG-CPA
Level 4

Have him sign a Form 2848 and you can request his transcript.  Unfortunately, it probably won't show up until 4/15 when the IRS does the final posting for the Wage and Income transcripts.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
qbteachmt
Level 15

I see a mix of terminology for Worker Misclassification.

"I am trying to determine what amount if any, the employer reported."

An Employer reports W2. It's possible this person should have been an employee, of course.

"Can the IRS provide me his wage information"

It won't be wages. You described that, already.

"based on what has been reported under his social security number?"

Your taxpayer needs to get their Tax Transcript to see what has been reported for them for 2020.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Can the taxpayer check his bank account statements?

Taxpayer is at fault here, too for not keeping records. His income is reportable whether or not the payor issued a 1099.

Ex-AllStar
jalessneo
Level 1

I realize I was being a little sloppy with the terminology. I requested he get an Wage Transcript online from the IRS, but he doesn't have any of the require financial information to get it online. Thank you for your answer. 

0 Cheers
LG-CPA
Level 4

Have him sign a Form 2848 and you can request his transcript.  Unfortunately, it probably won't show up until 4/15 when the IRS does the final posting for the Wage and Income transcripts.

qbteachmt
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/transcript-types-and-ways-to-order-them

"Wage and Income Transcript - shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July."

I think an extension might be warranted.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
jalessneo
Level 1

Great idea. Thank you.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Are you on bad terms with the old boss, also?  You can jump through a lot of hoops suggested here, and maybe not find out anything even by July, or you can write a short letter asking the boss if a 1099 was issued, and if so could he please send another copy, and if not, could he give you a figure on how much your client was paid.  Probably a good idea to have your client sign a statement beneath your signature saying he gives you permission to receive this information.  Enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope.  

If you end up having to file with an estimate anyway, it would show that at least you tried.