Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Homebuyer Credit and Divorce - How to take responsibility of repayment

TCHollar
Level 1

Hello.

I was divorced in 2015, and was given ownership of our home. My spouse never filled out the form 5405 to transfer repayment of the first time home buyer credit to me. I've been paying the $500 every year, but now I have repaid all of my half of the credit, and the IRS will not let me continue paying.

My spouse is overseas, does not file taxes and I do not have a way to contact him to try to get him to file this form. Is there a way for me to notify the IRS that the repayment should be my responsibility so that I can continue paying it?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Comment 1
qbteachmt
Level 15

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte , and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.