Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiduciary Module - Disallowed passive PTP losses are included in QBI calculation

CBCOCPA
Level 2

Lacerte does not appear to be calculating QBI correctly in the Fiduciary module.  Reg. 1.199A-3(c)(3)(ii) requires that PTP income/loss be included or allowed in determining taxable income for the taxable year before it is included in QBI.  However, Lacerte is including ALL passive losses from PTPs in QBI and not limiting it to the portion included in taxable income for the year. 

The Individual module, however, is limiting the PTP losses included in QBI to the portion deducted in determining taxable income.  That is, the Individual module seems to be handling PTP losses correctly.

Why is the Fiduciary module computing differently than the Individual module?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

4 Comments 4
MichaelD
Employee
Employee

This appears to be incorrect and I have forwarded it to the appropriate department for further evaluation. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we apologize for any inconvenience. 

Michael D

0 Cheers
pbd2020
Level 1

They corrected this in the individual module, but now it's not reducing QBI by PTP deductible losses for final year K-1s (in the individual module).  

0 Cheers
CBCOCPA
Level 2

@MichaelD Any progress on resolving this issue?  I have several returns waiting on resolution of this issue before I can file them.  Any estimate of when we can expect an update?

0 Cheers
pbd2020
Level 1

My issue was with the individual module.  I'm checking for updates every other day, still no luck.  They did make the change to not reduce QBI  by disallowed passive PTP losses, but now it isn't reducing QBI by allowed (final year) passive PTP losses.  I am also holding returns for this.  Irritated is a huge understatement.  I paid Lacerte around $15000 last year, and me, as a small one person firm pointed this out.  You'd think we'd get more responsive action.

0 Cheers