Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy credit

LAHCPA
Level 1

I have a client that installed a geothermal heat pump at their residence for 30k. There was a 10k NYSERDA rebate to the qualified installer so they paid 20k.  The qualified installer gave them paperwork saying they could take the 30% Federal energy credit on the whole 30k (credit of $9,000).  Does that mean that the 10k rebate should be included as taxable income on their tax return?  Or should the Federal credit (Form 5695) really be just on the net that they paid of 20k (credit of $6,000)?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

2 Comments 2
G4Trax
Level 3

When all else fails, read the instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf See the italics at the top of page 1. 

0 Cheers
LAHCPA
Level 1

Yes, thanks, I had read that but since it said "subsidy from a public utility" I wasn't sure if it applied completely because the rebate was from a NYS government agency.  Wonder why all the geothermal installer websites I checked all state the credit is calculated on the gross amount before the NYSERDA rebate.

0 Cheers