Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

electing not to use capital losses carried forward

I have carry forward capital losses that I don't want to use this year because my income is such I pay 0% on capital gains and qualified dividends (ordinary income below threshold to pay tax on them).  I don't see where I am required to use them this year, while still being eligible to use them in future years.  Mechanically, Proseries does not allow for such a switch of using them or not, but that can be gotten around by adjusting the capital loss carry forward.

Is anything in the law giving me that choice?

0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Level 15

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Former Chump..umm... AllStar.
"the game of life is hard to play"

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Level 15
Level 15
You either carry them forward or carry them back, you cant just skip a year and save them for when you need them.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

I'm good with that.  You reminded me that the schedule D has the carry forward documented so messing with it doesn't work.  Sometimes one needs to step back and revisit what at first looks like a gift.  I'll take the no tax on qualified dividends until the next change in the tax law.

0 Cheers