Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

economic impact payment

dcarrillo
Level 2

What to do if client can't remember how much they received in 2 EIPs?  If I leave input field blank will IRS make correction?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

I haven't seen any reports on what IRS is doing with RRC's.  If they are claimed in error, it's probably safe to assume that they will be disallowed.  If they are not claimed, I have my doubts about whether IRS will volunteer the information and send a math-error notice explaining the higher refund. 

It's one thing to tell clients to check their bank statements, but another to suggest they rummage through the dumpster to see if the debit card is still there.  

I haven't come across any inexplicable errors or omissions with the first $1,200 (or reduced amount based on either 2018 or 2019 AGI).  The second $600 was a real mess; the error rate will probably turn out to be more than 20%.  I tell clients not to be surprised if their refund is $600 less than what is shown on the return.  My clients are smart enough to understand that.  After all, they were smart enough to find me.  

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Tell them to check their bank statements. Or access their account on irs.gov

On the other hand, if you can clearly tell how much they would have gotten, I would use that.

If you leave it blank, I'm sure IRS will correct it, but you may be giving your client a tax return with an $1,800 or more refundable credit on it. What do you think they'll say to you when IRS chops it?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

When in doubt, I assume they got the full amount that they would have been eligible for.  I would rather have the IRS make a correction to the client's benefit than the other way around.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Same here.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

I haven't seen any reports on what IRS is doing with RRC's.  If they are claimed in error, it's probably safe to assume that they will be disallowed.  If they are not claimed, I have my doubts about whether IRS will volunteer the information and send a math-error notice explaining the higher refund. 

It's one thing to tell clients to check their bank statements, but another to suggest they rummage through the dumpster to see if the debit card is still there.  

I haven't come across any inexplicable errors or omissions with the first $1,200 (or reduced amount based on either 2018 or 2019 AGI).  The second $600 was a real mess; the error rate will probably turn out to be more than 20%.  I tell clients not to be surprised if their refund is $600 less than what is shown on the return.  My clients are smart enough to understand that.  After all, they were smart enough to find me.