Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filed 1040X Returns requiring a "take action" call to Confirm Identity

TaxingUpNorth
Level 2

Efiled 2019 and 2020 1040X Amended returns have been getting a message on the Where's My Amended Return Tool on the IRS Website:

Take Action:

Your Amended Return was received on April X, 2021.  However it has not been processed.  We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please call 800-829-0582.  Extension 623 between 7-7 M-F.  You will need a copy of your return.

------------------------

I've checked and the March returns I submitted all appear to have gone through.  The April ones seem to be about 75% needing a call in to verify identity.  People phoning in just have to answer a few questions to verify identity.  2 days after verifying identity, IRS webiste still has not been updated, 2 days later.

2 Comments 2
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

Thanks, this is concerning.  The IRS should not have rolled out this feature if a follow up phone call is required.

0 Cheers
TaxingUpNorth
Level 2

I agree.  The IRS could have, at the very least, sent out a timely notice letting them know that a verification of their identity was needed.  My clients that called in just needed to verify their identity and then confirm that they intended to file an amended return.

0 Cheers